Oatmeal cookies are a timeless treat, known for their hearty texture and comforting flavors. Whether you enjoy them with a glass of milk, as an afternoon snack, or as a dessert, oatmeal cookies are a versatile and beloved choice for any occasion. In this recipe, we’ll guide you through the steps to create delicious homemade oatmeal cookies that are soft and chewy on the inside and beautifully golden on the outside. With a hint of cinnamon and the optional addition of raisins or chocolate chips, these cookies are sure to become a family favorite.
To make approximately 24 oatmeal cookies, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup raisins or chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup raisins or dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts (e.g., walnuts, almonds)
- .Preheat the Oven: Begin by preheating your oven to 350°F (180°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or lightly grease them to prevent sticking.
- Cream the Butter and Sugars: In a large mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy. This should take about 2-3 minutes using an electric mixer on medium speed.
- Add Eggs and Vanilla: Beat in the eggs one at a time, ensuring each egg is fully incorporated before adding the next one. Then, add the vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- Combine Dry Ingredients: In a separate bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking soda, ground cinnamon, and salt. Gradually add this dry mixture to the wet ingredients in the large mixing bowl. Mix until the dough comes together and all the dry ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Fold in Oats (and Optional Add-Ins): Gently fold in the old-fashioned oats until they are evenly distributed throughout the dough. If you choose to include raisins or chocolate chips, add them at this point and fold them into the dough as well.
- Shape the Cookies: Using a spoon or cookie scoop, drop rounded tablespoons of dough onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving some space between each cookie to allow for spreading during baking.
- Bake: Place the baking sheets in the preheated oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies are golden brown but the centers are still slightly soft. Keep a close eye on them as baking times may vary depending on your oven.
- Cool and Enjoy: Once done, remove the cookies from the oven and let them cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy your homemade oatmeal cookies with a glass of cold milk or your favorite beverage!
These homemade oatmeal cookies are a delightful combination of chewy and crunchy, with the warm notes of cinnamon complementing the hearty oats. Whether you prefer them plain, with raisins, or studded with chocolate chips, these cookies are a delicious treat that’s perfect for any occasion. Share them with friends and family, or savor them on your own as a comforting indulgence. Happy baking!